A 14 room “Painted Lady” Victorian era Home overlooking the City of Brooksville – Tour the Elegant Dining Room, Victorian Bedrooms and much more.
The Armed Occupation Act ratified by the U.S. congress in 1842, stated: any settler who came to Florida, lived on the land for five years, cultivated five acres, and built a dwelling would be granted 160 acres. Richard Wiggins homesteaded the land were the May Stringer house is located.
John May bought the property in 1855 and built a four-room house. He died in 1858. John May’s wife Marena, continued to live there and she ran the plantation. In 1866 Marena married Frank Saxon, a confederate soldier. Marena died in 1869 during childbirth.
When Frank Saxon remarried he sold the house to Dr. Sheldon Stringer. Dr. Stringer expanded the house to fourteen rooms and practiced medicine from one of the rooms on the ground floor.
Three generation of the Stringer family lived there before Dr. Earl Hensley and his wife Helen bought the house. They sold it to the Hernando County Historical Museum Assoc. in 1981 to become the May-Stringer House Museum.
The fourteen room, four story house has seven gables and gingerbread trim. In some rooms the ceiling is 10 feet tall. The Museum assoc. has created exhibit rooms with a Victorian Look, and there are rooms devoted to specific themes: A Military Room, an 1880s doctor’s office and a 1900s communication room.